Friday, January 26, 2007

New Year's Resolutions - 25 days late

First resolution - more pictures of man butt!!! This was some nice man butt I found at the F1 race last year. I can't remember which crew this man butt comes from, but the one on the left is really yummy! I need more pictures of man butt in the collection.

Well, being down sick for two weeks really settles a person down and makes them think about important things in life, such as the ability to breathe using one's nose and the joy of using one's lungs without it triggering a coughing fit! Sitting on the couch, trying to recover and knitting like crazy for 2 weeks has got me thinking about New Year's Resolutions. Now, I am not the type of person who normally makes resolutions. In fact, I have never made a New Year's Resolution because my attention span isn't long enough to carry me through a couple of hours, let alone 12 months. I have a couple of goals that I would actually like to TRY to accomplish this year, so I figured I would make the dreaded resolutions and see how they turn out. I figure that if I share them with everyone, it forces me to keep doing it and forces me to actually follow through. Who knows? Maybe they will work!

Goal #1: Be able to fit into a size 6 by the end of June.

Now, how in heaven's name do I plan to do this one since I like to be seditary and I have a sweet tooth? Let's break it down into semi-managable steps. First, I will exercise 3 nights per week while at work! My plan is to hit the weight room at work 3 nights during my work week and work out. 3 of those days will involve 30 minutes of sweaty "get your heart pumping" type of aerobic exercise. My current fave is the stationary bike, but they have a rowing machine, stair climber, treadmill and elliptical trainer to choose from. It doesn't matter which one I play on, I just need to choose one for 30 minutes each day. 2 of the 3 days will also involve weight training. I will start with the upper body only (biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders) to keep it simple. Once I have been doing the lower body stuff for a couple of months, I will revisit adding lower body weight training to the schedule. I would like to add my favorite exercise (ice skating) to the schedule also, but I am not sure about how much time I have to devote to that. Let's put ice skating on the "to do" list and get to it as we get more time.

Diet - Do we have to do that??? Nope! Every time I try a diet, I fail in the most miserable way! Since there is no diet out there that allows me to eat French Fries and truffles, I am not doing a diet! Well, OK, I am going to eat differently. I am calling this my "Laurie Moderation Plan". I will allow myself to eat anything in moderation. How will this look? I am not sure yet. I figure I will drink my two 1000ml bottles of water per day as a starter. I will work on eating more unprocessed foods and eating more veggies. I will try to cut the soda down to 1 can per day and cut the sugary snacks down. For right now, I will settle for 1 sugary snack per day. If I do eat a sugary snack, it will be a serving size as portioned on the label. So, if a pint of ice cream has 4 servings, I can only eat 1/4 of it. That shouldn't be too hard. I will concentrate on eating in moderation and not eating because I am bored, tired, depressed or any other emotional eating. I will start slow with this one and introduce one good habit at a time. I am figuring slower is better.

Right now, I am wearing a size 16 pair of jeans. I would like to be wearing a pair of size 6 jeans by the end of June. OK, so they may be a REALLY tight fitting pair of size 6 jeans that I may not be able to breathe in once I button them up, but I would like to get to that level. Hopefully by the end of August the size 6 jeans will allow me enough room to breathe!

Goal #2: Slim down the yarn stash

OK, now that a bunch of the unpacking is done in the house, I realize that I have a LOT of sock yarn. OK, I have a shitload of sock yarn. I really need to use the sock yarn that I have and knit myself a bunch of really nice socks. So, this year's socks will be worked using yarn in the stash! There are a couple of exceptions to this rule. 1) my current Sock of the Month club membership does not count. 2) if Scout has a really nice new color, I can pick that up or 3) Out of town yarn shop purchases don't count.

Ziggy Update: He is still with us! Yeah! He is going downhill, which we knew would happen. He has his good days and his bad days. Recently, I have just taken to carrying him around all over the house when I am not working so I don't disturb his sleeping on me. He still likes to sleep on my head, but he has been sleeping a lot more lately. He is still eating and still showing his dominance over the other male kitties in the family, so we just keep spoiling him!

Tomorrow, I will try to post pictures of the 3 pair of socks I have finished since I got sick. One pair was a UFO from August, the other two were started this month!